A Few Little Lessons in Life



Isaac learned to wear a tie to church on Sunday (at least for about 10 minutes until the clip from the clip-on tie started to scratch his neck).

Amy learned how to can salsa, chicken, and peaches.

Amy learned to lock "kids lock" up top on the door the night before so Isaac doesn't sneak out to ride his bike at 6:30am.

Calvin learned that Dads don't just boss people around, they also do LOTS of work.

Katesie learned how to draw a lawnmower (see above drawing of Calvin mowing the lawn and Jeff teaching him how...so cute)!

So last Saturday Jeff and I slaved away cleaning out the garage. We pretty much ignored the kids most of the morning and when we finally finished that afternoon we went inside to find a disaster. So Jeff asked the kids to help clean up. Apparently Calvin thought that was unfair so he told Jeff as much. In fact I think he said something to the effect of "All Dad's do is boss people around, you never have to do any work." :) Hilarious! Especially after we had spent all morning working in the garage. So Jeff decided that Calvin needed to learn a lesson. So he gave Calvin a good list of "Dad chores" to see what it was like. First, Calvin had to change Isaac's diaper. Yes, a messy diaper. Second, Calvin had to clean up the backyard including moving the basketball hoop out of the way for the lawnmower. And last, Calvin had to mow the entire lawn. Calvin is 7 and was SO EXCITED about that part. He has been asking to mow the lawn for a year or so now and he was pretty excited to finally get the chance. He even sported safety goggles for the event. It was pretty tough for him to push the lawnmower since he can barely see over the handle, but he did it! And hopefully he learned a lesson. I was a slacker Mom and didn't take any pictures of the event, but luckily Katesie captured it for me. I love her picture!

Comments

  1. I'm impressed with your canned chicken, I'm too much of a chicken to attempt something like that (haha). Did you use a pressure cooker? I love the Dad list, although I'm disappointed there were no pictures, especially one of calvin changing Isaacs diaper. That would be a potential blackmail shot for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts