A Little Update on Isaac

Does anyone else see the resemblance? (The middle picture is my Dad).
I took Isaac in for a hearing test today. About 6-8 weeks ago I noticed Isaac seemed to be not hearing as well as usual. He started saying "What?" "Mommy, what'dyou say?" all of the time. After a few weeks of this, I started to get concerned. I finally took him the ENT 2 weeks ago which eventually resulted in his fourth set of tubes (see my last post). I thought that would help. Well, it really hasn't helped with Isaac's "What?"s. And the ENT also suggested to get his hearing tested to see where he's at now. Well, the results were not encouraging. He is completely able to do the test, he knows how and what to do but he just can't hear. His hearing has been stable his entire (3 year) life at about a 40 decibel loss in his right ear and a 60 decibel loss in his left. Today his test showed he is at a 65 decibel loss in his right and 70 in his left. It is a significant difference in hearing, understanding and reproducing speech. So now we go back in 2 weeks to retest his hearing again. If the results are consistent with today's test, we'll be back to MRI's, ENT's, etc to figure out why he's lost that hearing and if we can recover it.
You know, life is funny I guess. When Isaac was first diagnosed with a hearing loss, I was kind of devastated for a bit. I was scared of the unknown and didn't know what that would mean for his life. Now I understand better and am completely fine with it. Part of me even feels like it is a little insignificant especially since he has done so well with speech up to this point. I know he will do great. He will have to work harder than most, but I know he can. Now I think, 'Oh please don't let it be worse' and the fear of the unknown and the "what if's" creeps back in. But no matter what life brings, you just have to be grateful for what you have. And I know Isaac will be able to handle whatever challenges life brings him. I just love that little guy, even when he screams at the top of his lungs. Sometimes I think we'll all be deaf with how loud that little guy is. :)

Sorry to hear that things have gotten worse. I admire your attitude and strength. He is lucky to have such a wonderful mom. I hope when you go back it will have improved.
ReplyDeleteYou really do have a great attitude. 4 times for tubes, wow! I hope things are going well. He's such a cute little guy.
ReplyDelete