France - Day 8 - Mont Saint Michel and Paris - Eiffel Tower
Monday, September 15, 2014
(Jeff) This morning we woke up and went for a walk around
Mont Saint Michel. I know that doesn’t
sound that exciting but in a town like this it really is. This is the most
amazing place. Small alleyways, narrow ramparts that overlook the town and out
onto the mudflats, squished together homes that look like something out of a
movie set. It’s one of those places that around every corner you find something
even cooler than before. This of course is made even better because I am
walking around with Amy. I thought that there was no way this place could live
up to the hype and it really did.
Staying the night was a great choice because late at night
and in the morning the town is empty. That was the case until about 10am when
the first tour buses showed up and after that it gets busy. Even then it’s
still pretty quaint, but way cooler when you have the place to yourself.
Amy decided that she wanted to go out on the mudflats that
surround the island to get some photos. I was wearing socks and shoes so I
waited on the rocks while she wandered out. The tide comes in very fast and
rises up to 50 feet (second highest in the world) and so there have been some
people who have drowned over the years. It’s easy to get stuck out there at the
wrong time. But my fishing girl had no fear about figuring out the tides, so
off she went. She got some really cool photos.
Next we went to the Abbey and took a tour. It used to be a
Benedictine abbey up until 2002, but now I’m not sure what it is. Either way, I
didn’t see any monks wandering the halls. The abbey itself is huge and had
rooms for studying, eating, sleeping, copying scriptures, etc. all done at a
scale that is mind blowing. Every room is huge and the views are, well, to die
for. Which I am sure has happened over the years given the many cliffs. The
abbey didn’t disappoint.
On the way off the island we ran into 4 LDS missionaries out
on their prep day doing some sight seeing. Being a missionary once in a far
away place and knowing how hungry I used to be, we slipped them some money and told
them to go the nearest kabob stand and fill up.
Next we were back to the Peugeot and off to Paris. We have
had an amazing trip and seen so much of the country, but we saved Paris for
last, as sort of a cherry on top and it has certainly been that. I have to say,
the roads and freeways here are top notch, the drivers are great and it has
been no problem getting around.
Nearly four hours later we dropped our car off at the
airport and hopped in a taxi to take us into to Paris. We are staying fairly
close to the Eiffel Tower, about a 15 minute walk. We immediately went there
and just started soaking up the city. There is fantastic architecture
everywhere, loads of people from all over the world and a very busy but
friendly vibe. The Eiffel Tower is much bigger than I was expecting and
although crazy touristy, really awe inspiring.
To orient ourselves in the city, we took a boat tour down
the Seine river which cuts right through the middle of Paris. It took about an
hour and also was really touristy, but it helped us get our bearings on where
everything was, so it was good to do at the beginning. After than we went to
the Trocadero fountains that are opposite the Eiffel Tower and watched the
fountains for a while and then watched the lights get turned on for the tower.
Really beautiful.
We ate a late dinner at around 9:30pm, which I guess is very
much the norm here. The restaurants are empty at 7pm but full at 9pm. Our food
was great, and thus begins our gastronomical adventures here in Paris. After
the limited menus of the small towns we have been in so far, Paris is
fantastic. There is great food from all over the world. Beyond the food,
nothing beats holding Amy’s hand and walking the streets of Paris.
Saint Michael slaying the dragon.

























Comments
Post a Comment