The Big Island - Part 2
Wednesday we were up early again (5am, we slept in) and headed over to Mauna Kea beach before the 30 parking slots were filled and they don't allow any more cars in. We were there by 8am and spent the next 4 hours snorkeling and swimming in this beautiful bay/beach sandwiched by lava rocks and coral reefs on either side. The visibility was incredible and we saw a ton of fish and several turtles. It was like swimming in a coral garden. We also found a short hole or tunnel to swim through in the coral reef. Not too crazy but it felt like a little adventure nonetheless. On my second time through I floated up a bit and hit my head on the rocks...ouch!
Then we headed over to Hapuna Beach to try some boogie boarding. The waves were minimal so we didn't get to do much but it was still fun to swim and dive in the waves. After Hapuna, we drove out to the Pololu lookout and hiked down to the black sand beach there. We were pretty swimmed out after 6 hours in the water so we sat on the lava rocks and watched the waves crash on the beach and the crabs scurry around.
Thursday morning we decided to try Waimea. We read online that you could do horseback rides on Parker Ranch, one of the largest cattle ranches in all of the United States and rides left from the blacksmith shop on Pukalani Road in Waimea at 8:15am. I tried calling but it was too early so we just drove up to see. Luckily, they weren't busy and we got to ride. I'm always a little nervous about horses. They're just so big! But our horses were mellow and the ride was relaxing and calm. Just a nice 2 hour trail ride through the meadows. It was beautiful weather...75 degrees and breezy. Perfect for a horseback ride.
Then we ate lunch at a little divy, local hole-in-the-wall place called Hawaiian Style Cafe. Ginormous portions for pretty cheap and really good food! We saw LDS missionaries there. A nice senior couple from Lindon. Kind of fun to see the Lord's work in all corners of the world! They told us about the area and a few of the local members.
We drove to the Waipio Valley lookout. Scenic drive but I was so tired I fell asleep and woke up when we got to the parking lot. Oh well. It was a beautiful drive back...with a detour down a lonely jungle road just to see where it went. We followed it for miles and miles until it got 4-wheel drive-ish and we turned around.
Came back early to go to our Manta Ray swim but when we headed to the harbor for our trip the Highway was closed and we had to cancel. :( So we went back and swam at the hotel pool and lagoon. The waterslide was so fun and fast! Jeff wanted to take one last swim in the lagoon out to the waterfall. I followed. On the way I grabbed something while I was swimming that turned out to be a turtle's fin! Kinda freaked me out a little so then I held on the Jeff the whole rest of the way to the waterfall. We almost ran into another turtle and saw several more right in the waterfall swimming, poking their heads up and swimming around us!
Then we went out to Mauna Kea to see the manta rays at Manta Ray Point but had no luck. Strike 2 with the rays. Hopefully we'll get to reschedule the swim!

Oh how you make me wish I were in Hawaii again! Looks like y'all are having a blast. Your kiddos are doing great and their caregiver hasn't lost her mind yet either! :)
ReplyDelete-Susie Q.
What a fun vacation!!! You are doing so many AWESOME things, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete