The Big Island

On Thursday afternoon I was looking up tickets to do some research for our family reunion next year so I could see how many skymiles it took to go to Hawaii in July. It just so happened that they had a great price but only on a few days. I joked with Jeff and said "Wanna go to Hawaii on Monday?" He didn't even hesitate and said "YES!" So he made arrangements and on Friday night I booked the tickets. We didn't even book our hotel until Sunday night (our flight left Monday morning). It was a bit of a whirlwind but here we are! The Tillmans are SO awesome to watch our rowdy bunch for over a week. I hope they're good (kids if you're reading this...PLEASE be good for Elena)! :)

Monday we flew in about 4:45pm Hawaii time. We had a great dinner at a local restaurant called the "Big Island Grill." The food was authentic and excellent and most importantly, cheap! So for Jeff, the trip was off to a great start already. We stopped by the Kona temple before heading to our hotel. It was absolutely beautiful. And very small.

Our hotel is amazing. We've never stayed at a resort before but we splurged for a few nights and this place is unbelievable! It is 62 acres with it's own protected lagoon and sandy beach. It has a monorail running through it to take you to your different towers. Or, you can take the Disneyland-style jungle cruise boat through the canal to your tower. We've done both. And walked. They have dolphins on site and you can do dolphin encounters (very pricey so I don't think we'll do it). But we've watched the dolphins. It's like a sea world show.

Tuesday we decided to just relax and hang around the resort. We snorkeled with turtles and fish in the lagoon. We slept on the beach. We rented a stand up paddle board and paddled around the lagoon. We paddled each other around, fell off a few times and laughed so hard I cried! We swam and went on the water slides in the pool. Our kids would LOVE this place!!! At night the stars are amazing. We saw Mars, Saturn and the Milky Way last night. I think we should drive up to Mauna Kea observatory one of these nights.

Today we're off to snorkel and boogie board at some local beaches: Mauna Kea and Hapuna beach. The Calls in our ward were so nice to lend us their beach gear. They have a house in Kona and gave us the code to go get their gear. Saved us a bundle! Thank you!
















Comments

Popular Posts