Mikey's First Day of Kindergarten
Dear Mikey,
Today was your first day of Kindergarten. You were so excited all week to go to school like your older brothers and sisters. They started a week before you and you've been dying to join them!
Last Wednesday was your 5th birthday. We had a family party this year and you got to have three different birthday cakes! On Sunday we had all of the Davis family over for brownies and ice cream for all the boys' August birthdays. You blew out 5 candles stuck in the brownies while everyone sang Happy Birthday to you and your brothers and your cousin Nicole and Grandpa Davis. Then on Wednesday (your actual birthday) Dad had Young Mens at our house so he asked me to get a giant Costco cake to share with all of the young men. You chose the vanilla cake with vanilla frosting and a picture of a beach umbrella and beach ball on it. You really wanted a piece with the umbrella on it. We gathered all of the young men around you and they sang Happy Birthday to you. You were so cute sitting there with a shy smile while they sang to you. And then before the Costco cake, you had already requested an ice cream cake like Calvin had on his birthday so I had made you one earlier that day. I was kind of hoping you'd forget about it. But of course, you didn't! The next day you reminded me several times until I finally let you have a piece of that cake too! :)
Last Thursday you met your teacher, Mrs. Hurst, for your Kindergarten assessment. I sat in the hall filling out paperwork and talking to some other moms while you sat inside with Mrs. Hurst and told her all the wonderful things you know. I tried to listen a little. You counted and read and showed her just how smart you are! But I think you were still a little shy because I heard you say several times "I don't know" when I knew you knew the answer. That's just fine. I'm sure she'll see right away that you know lots of things. You are a really smart boy! You are already reading words and reading your Challenger books. You even know how to read a few really big words like "tyrannosaurus rex" and "apatosaurus." You can count to 60 or so and you can count backwards from 20 (with a little help in the teens).
Last night I went to the store to buy you a first day of school outfit. You didn't care at all but I wanted you to have a picture of your first day of school in a cute outfit. I came home with a few size 5 shirts. This morning you picked the most casual shirt I bought, and the least favorite of mine. It was way too big. I tried to convince you to just wear one of your old shirts that fit you better but you insisted on wearing the new one. I figured it was your day, not mine so I didn't push it. You asked Dad to make you a lunch like the big kids and pack it in your new superman lunchbox, even though you weren't eating lunch at school. You told him that way you would have it right when you got home. We agreed!
The other kids go to school at 8:00am and Kindergarten doesn't start until 9:15am so you had time after you were all ready. You rode your bike with the older kids until they left and then you watched a little show on my bed while I got ready. You are so easy-going that way. For the most part you are really laid back and aren't too demanding. You like to line up your stuffed animals or make forts or play with your toys and set up little play sets. I love to sit and watch you play. You just play and talk and make believe and don't even notice that I'm watching you. It makes my heart happy to see my happy, healthy, nice, smart boy playing and being creative! I love that you love to set up your playthings right next to me, no matter where I am. If I'm folding laundry, you set up your toys right outside the laundry room door in the hallway. If I'm in the kitchen, you sit at the counter and play. If I'm reading in the living room, you build a fort on the couch. I love that you want to be with me. It makes me feel loved!
So this morning you played until it was time go to school. We gathered up all of your classroom supplies and strapped on your backpack and drove up to the school. I snapped a few pictures in front of the school and then we hurried over to the Kindergarten playground to drop you off. We didn't leave much time so right as we walked up the bell rang. I didn't have time to make a big deal out of anything. The bell rang and you just walked right in. I stood in the open door and whispered your name so you'd turn around one last time for a quick picture before you sat on the rug to listen to your teacher. You were just steady. You weren't excited and smiley but you weren't crying and scared. I could tell you were a little nervous but you were brave and ready to go. I hesitated for a moment, watching my baby go to school but I didn't cry. After all, we did this last year for preschool. You've always been so brave. I was so proud of you. I knew you would love it so I didn't worry!
When I drove up to pick you up from school you were standing at the curb with your backpack smiling and waving to me. I could tell you'd had a great time at school. I quickly snapped a picture so I could remember that moment. My little Mikey coming home from his first day of school. So proud. So happy. So capable. I wished for a moment that you could stay little forever. I remembered holding you as a tiny baby up on my shoulder, softly patting your back. Rocking and soothing you so you'd go back to sleep on those long nights. I couldn't believe that time has passed so quickly, yet I feel like you've been part of me forever. I am so glad that I'm your Mom and you are my son. I love you Mikey. And even when you are too big for me to pick up in my arms and hug you and kiss your squishy little cheeks, a part of me will still see you as my little boy. I am so glad I get one more year of you home, even if it's only part of the day now. I love having you as my little buddy for one more year—just the two of us.
Today was your first day of Kindergarten. You were so excited all week to go to school like your older brothers and sisters. They started a week before you and you've been dying to join them!
Last Wednesday was your 5th birthday. We had a family party this year and you got to have three different birthday cakes! On Sunday we had all of the Davis family over for brownies and ice cream for all the boys' August birthdays. You blew out 5 candles stuck in the brownies while everyone sang Happy Birthday to you and your brothers and your cousin Nicole and Grandpa Davis. Then on Wednesday (your actual birthday) Dad had Young Mens at our house so he asked me to get a giant Costco cake to share with all of the young men. You chose the vanilla cake with vanilla frosting and a picture of a beach umbrella and beach ball on it. You really wanted a piece with the umbrella on it. We gathered all of the young men around you and they sang Happy Birthday to you. You were so cute sitting there with a shy smile while they sang to you. And then before the Costco cake, you had already requested an ice cream cake like Calvin had on his birthday so I had made you one earlier that day. I was kind of hoping you'd forget about it. But of course, you didn't! The next day you reminded me several times until I finally let you have a piece of that cake too! :)
Last Thursday you met your teacher, Mrs. Hurst, for your Kindergarten assessment. I sat in the hall filling out paperwork and talking to some other moms while you sat inside with Mrs. Hurst and told her all the wonderful things you know. I tried to listen a little. You counted and read and showed her just how smart you are! But I think you were still a little shy because I heard you say several times "I don't know" when I knew you knew the answer. That's just fine. I'm sure she'll see right away that you know lots of things. You are a really smart boy! You are already reading words and reading your Challenger books. You even know how to read a few really big words like "tyrannosaurus rex" and "apatosaurus." You can count to 60 or so and you can count backwards from 20 (with a little help in the teens).
Last night I went to the store to buy you a first day of school outfit. You didn't care at all but I wanted you to have a picture of your first day of school in a cute outfit. I came home with a few size 5 shirts. This morning you picked the most casual shirt I bought, and the least favorite of mine. It was way too big. I tried to convince you to just wear one of your old shirts that fit you better but you insisted on wearing the new one. I figured it was your day, not mine so I didn't push it. You asked Dad to make you a lunch like the big kids and pack it in your new superman lunchbox, even though you weren't eating lunch at school. You told him that way you would have it right when you got home. We agreed!
The other kids go to school at 8:00am and Kindergarten doesn't start until 9:15am so you had time after you were all ready. You rode your bike with the older kids until they left and then you watched a little show on my bed while I got ready. You are so easy-going that way. For the most part you are really laid back and aren't too demanding. You like to line up your stuffed animals or make forts or play with your toys and set up little play sets. I love to sit and watch you play. You just play and talk and make believe and don't even notice that I'm watching you. It makes my heart happy to see my happy, healthy, nice, smart boy playing and being creative! I love that you love to set up your playthings right next to me, no matter where I am. If I'm folding laundry, you set up your toys right outside the laundry room door in the hallway. If I'm in the kitchen, you sit at the counter and play. If I'm reading in the living room, you build a fort on the couch. I love that you want to be with me. It makes me feel loved!
So this morning you played until it was time go to school. We gathered up all of your classroom supplies and strapped on your backpack and drove up to the school. I snapped a few pictures in front of the school and then we hurried over to the Kindergarten playground to drop you off. We didn't leave much time so right as we walked up the bell rang. I didn't have time to make a big deal out of anything. The bell rang and you just walked right in. I stood in the open door and whispered your name so you'd turn around one last time for a quick picture before you sat on the rug to listen to your teacher. You were just steady. You weren't excited and smiley but you weren't crying and scared. I could tell you were a little nervous but you were brave and ready to go. I hesitated for a moment, watching my baby go to school but I didn't cry. After all, we did this last year for preschool. You've always been so brave. I was so proud of you. I knew you would love it so I didn't worry!
When I drove up to pick you up from school you were standing at the curb with your backpack smiling and waving to me. I could tell you'd had a great time at school. I quickly snapped a picture so I could remember that moment. My little Mikey coming home from his first day of school. So proud. So happy. So capable. I wished for a moment that you could stay little forever. I remembered holding you as a tiny baby up on my shoulder, softly patting your back. Rocking and soothing you so you'd go back to sleep on those long nights. I couldn't believe that time has passed so quickly, yet I feel like you've been part of me forever. I am so glad that I'm your Mom and you are my son. I love you Mikey. And even when you are too big for me to pick up in my arms and hug you and kiss your squishy little cheeks, a part of me will still see you as my little boy. I am so glad I get one more year of you home, even if it's only part of the day now. I love having you as my little buddy for one more year—just the two of us.











Comments
Post a Comment