France - 9 - Paris!
This morning we started the day with a stroll through Notre Dame Cathedral. Very impressive. We wanted to climb the tower afterwards but the line was way too long. We kind of followed Rick Steve's "Historic Paris" walking tour from his guidebook. It's pretty good but it's way too easy and fun to get distracted along the way. We seriously walked at least 10 miles today. It might sound like I'm just saying that, but I really think we did. And it's a good thing because we ate a few days worth of food as we sampled our way through the city.
We walked all over Ile St Louis and the Latin Quarter. We had to try to the gelato at Amorino. It lived up to the hype! And trust me, Jeff is not easy to please when it comes to food. We explored the Latin Quarter and had fondue at Le Grande Bistro. I loved the Latin Quarter! There was so much going on everywhere. Shops, food, people, tight alleyways. It was so fun. It was a little embarrassing when I realized it was Latin as in the University District where they spoke Latin, not Latin as in Latin-American. Yes, I thought that. I am from small town America, okay? Don't judge.
We walked to the Musee d'Orsay and spent 4 hours gazing at the Impressionist paintings there. We loved getting lost wandering around this beautiful Museum. We made a quick stop at the Army Museum to see Napoleon's tomb. Then after almost five hours without Parisian street food, it was time to head to Rue Cler for a gastronomical walk through a food-lover's paradise. We sampled more ice cream, chocolate bon bons, homemade caramels, peaches, croissants, the perfect baguette and Jeff's favorite, a nutella beignet. Everything was so delicious! One nice thing is that we can buy small amounts and just share. Maybe that helped mitigate some pounds? Let's hope so.
After filling up in Rue Cler, we walked back to our hotel and took a short early evening nap so we would be able to stay up and see Paris again at night and be able to stay awake to call our kids at home (everyone is home around midnight our time).
We took a night time walk to Arc d'Triumph only 10 minutes from our hotel. We talked to an awesome, older Argentinian couple for 20 minutes or so who took our picture. We talked to them about their travels across the world and their home country. Jeff was in heaven being able to speak Spanish with them. I could mostly keep up and throw in a few comments here and there. They were really so nice. We wished we would have gotten their names! We climbed to the top of the Arc and had an amazing view of the City of Lights at night. We walked the Champs Elysees, ate some Shawarma (similar to the donner sandwich) at a little side street middle eastern restaurant. It was interesting to look around and see that I was only one of two other women in the restaurant. They skipped right over me and only asked Jeff what he wanted, almost like I was invisible. We walked back to the hotel and collapsed in our room, ready to get off our feet for the day.
We walked all over Ile St Louis and the Latin Quarter. We had to try to the gelato at Amorino. It lived up to the hype! And trust me, Jeff is not easy to please when it comes to food. We explored the Latin Quarter and had fondue at Le Grande Bistro. I loved the Latin Quarter! There was so much going on everywhere. Shops, food, people, tight alleyways. It was so fun. It was a little embarrassing when I realized it was Latin as in the University District where they spoke Latin, not Latin as in Latin-American. Yes, I thought that. I am from small town America, okay? Don't judge.
We walked to the Musee d'Orsay and spent 4 hours gazing at the Impressionist paintings there. We loved getting lost wandering around this beautiful Museum. We made a quick stop at the Army Museum to see Napoleon's tomb. Then after almost five hours without Parisian street food, it was time to head to Rue Cler for a gastronomical walk through a food-lover's paradise. We sampled more ice cream, chocolate bon bons, homemade caramels, peaches, croissants, the perfect baguette and Jeff's favorite, a nutella beignet. Everything was so delicious! One nice thing is that we can buy small amounts and just share. Maybe that helped mitigate some pounds? Let's hope so.
After filling up in Rue Cler, we walked back to our hotel and took a short early evening nap so we would be able to stay up and see Paris again at night and be able to stay awake to call our kids at home (everyone is home around midnight our time).
We took a night time walk to Arc d'Triumph only 10 minutes from our hotel. We talked to an awesome, older Argentinian couple for 20 minutes or so who took our picture. We talked to them about their travels across the world and their home country. Jeff was in heaven being able to speak Spanish with them. I could mostly keep up and throw in a few comments here and there. They were really so nice. We wished we would have gotten their names! We climbed to the top of the Arc and had an amazing view of the City of Lights at night. We walked the Champs Elysees, ate some Shawarma (similar to the donner sandwich) at a little side street middle eastern restaurant. It was interesting to look around and see that I was only one of two other women in the restaurant. They skipped right over me and only asked Jeff what he wanted, almost like I was invisible. We walked back to the hotel and collapsed in our room, ready to get off our feet for the day.
Officially declaring our love with a $2 lock in Paris.
Rue Cler.
The nutella beignets and the butter croissants were amazing. We are gaining pounds by the minute here people!
Notre Dame.
Pointe Zero. The point where all distances in France are measured from.
Saint Dennis. Beheaded. Legend has it that this didn't stop him. He simply picked it up, washed it off, slipped it under his arm and carried it to the next town where he wanted to be buried.
Inside Notre Dame.
Notre Dame.
The stained glass windows in Notre Dame were amazing!
Sampling chocolate bon bons.
How adorable is this couple? And this cafe?
Eating fondue in the Latin Quarter.
It's offical!
The Musee d'Orsay
From the Musee d'Orsay. That is the Louvre in the background. And a giant concrete ball behind my head.
Napolean's tomb. I wonder why they call it a Napolean complex? Haha!
More delicious calories!
Little me in front of Napolean's tomb chamber. Jeff told me I could relate well to Napolean, being short and all. You better believe it baby!
Seriously the best croissant EVER!
The calories are endless. But we are in Paris so they actually don't even count, right?
The Arc D'Triumph.
Champs Elysees at night.
Thanks to a nice, young German fellow who took our picture atop the Arc d'Triumph paris looks like it's on fire.









A trip you will always remember! Keep on posting!! I'm loving it! Love you both!
ReplyDelete