The Dirty Dash


Saturday, June 6, 2015

What is the Dirty Dash you ask? It is a crazy mud run that they do all over the country. The Utah Spring version was at Soldier Hollow on June 6th. Basically it’s a 5k with muddy obstacles all along the way. Sounds like perfect family fun!

We decided we had to kick it up a notch and go with some costumes. Plus we knew our clothes would be completely ruined so Kira and I made a quick DI (local thrift store) run and got pink t-shirts and throw away shorts for everyone. Another quick stop at Zurchers for some $1.69 plastic pig noses and we were set to go as the Big Bad Wolf (Jeff) and the 5 little piggies (me and the kids). I had originally just signed up Jeff and I and Kira and Calvin but Isaac watched the promo video and was DYING to go. At the last minute Kate jumped on board. We dropped Mikey off at a birthday party on the way so he couldn’t go. (He wasn’t too sad. It was his best friend’s birthday party).

Here are a list of highlights and low-lights from the run:

Isaac –
Best – “The best part was that I got to do the full race with you guys and that at the end all the people were cheering me on.”
Worst – “The worst was that it ruined my shoes.”

Calvin –
Best – “The slide was the best part because I got all cleaned off and I felt new.”
Worst – “The worst was the pool of mud with poles across that you had to climb over. I didn’t like it because there were sharp things in the mud and I felt gross after that.” (Isaac: “I liked that part because I pushed my Mom in the mud.”)

Jeff –
Best – “The best for me was the mud hole with the pipes and then afterwards pushing Amy down the hill into the mud over and over again.”
Worst – “The worst was getting cold at the end while you were waiting in line for the hot showers.” (Poor baby! Jeff and Isaac got a hot shower. Isaac really needed it and he need an adult to go with him. The rest of us had to do the freezing cold showers that trickled out like a drinking fountain.)

Kate –
Best – “I think the best part was…(oh that’s hard!)…where you climbed up the mud hill and then you slid down into the mud pool over and over again.”
Worst – “Getting mud in my underwear and getting mud everywhere, especially in my eyes. Just generally being uncomfortable. And the cold showers at the end.”

Kira –
Best – “The mud pools.”
Worst – “The freaking cold shower at the end.”

Amy –
Best – “Flying down the slide, passing Kate and dropping off at the end. I thought it would go slow so I got a running start and then I just flew down that slide, passing Kate at the end. It was pretty great. I felt like a kid! And floating in the mud pools with so much buoyancy because the mud was so dense. You literally could not sink! Oh, and of course getting a REAL, HOT shower when we got home!”
Worst – “Trying to clean the mud off my body and clothes with freezing cold mountain water with water pressure like a bad drinking fountain. And driving home with garbage bag pants on over my muddy swimsuit bottoms.”

Isaac was a serious boss on the run. He was totally into it and we could barely keep up with him. All the other runners loved him! This one group that was with us for part of the way called him the “Pink Ninja.” And they called Calvin the “Pink Ninja’s brother.” Calvin was the videographer, carrying the GoPro the entire time trying to get the ultimate footage. He’s working on putting together a sweet edit. Kira was Miss Positivity. She had the best attitude and made it so much fun, even when the other kids were getting pretty uncomfortable with the mud caked all over their bodies and shoes and clothes. Kate was a little indecisive from the get-go. I think she mostly came because she didn’t want to get left behind. But she still persevered and had a great time. All in all, it was a great family memory and well worth it! I would definitely do it again (next time we need Mikey)!



































Comments

Popular Posts