BYU vs Nebraska

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Today we witnessed BYU sports history!

This morning Jeff and I were up early headed to the TACAir terminal to meet up with some neighbors for an amazing day. Our friend Aaron invited us to fly on his private jet to Nebraska for the BYU football game. We got to the little private terminal and after telling them we were with Aaron, they buzzed us in and we drove right onto the Tarmac where our plane was waiting. They valeted our car back to the hangar while we boarded the Gulfstream G150 with 7 other passengers. I recognized the pilot as a fellow Challenger parent so we chatted for a minute about that. I felt like I had “connections.” Haha! The pilot gave us a 2 minute safety briefing and then we were “wheels up” taking off about a minute later. It was seriously less than 10 minutes from arriving that we were taking off. How amazing and convenient! No lines, no security, no waiting. It was awesome! The plane was stocked with snacks, muffins, pastries and drinks of every kind. I was the only woman on the plane so the guys joked that I was the stewardess. I was sitting closest to the galley so I obliged! We talked business with a few of the guys and were able to network and help each other work through issues each was having. It was really quite fun and helpful. I really enjoy talking “business” and trying to problem solve. It’s very engaging and fulfilling actually. After an easy 1 hr 40 min flight going 600 mph we landed at a little airport in Lincoln, Nebraska where a shuttle was waiting to take us to the stadium.

We had a few hours to kill before the game so we walked down to downtown Lincoln and the Haymarket area. There were tailgating parties everywhere! The Nebraska fans were seriously so nice. Everyone wanted to talk to our group and welcome us to Nebraska and wish us luck in the game and talk about what they thought and what we thought about the teams. It always cracks me up how everyone always wants to talk to Jeff no matter where we are or who we’re with. He must have a friendly face! ;) We ate lunch at Wings and Rings right in the middle of probably the bar scene in Haymarket. We had to have wristbands to get in and the guy threatened to card me. I told him he should, it would make my day to have someone question if I was under 21! (I’m starting to see a lot more wrinkles in the mirror these days). The food was pretty inexpensive and very good. It was a HOT day (the high was 95 degrees with a heat index of 105 degrees inside the stadium) but the wait was an hour to sit inside in the air conditioning so we were outside on the patio but the atmosphere was really cool.

We headed over to the stadium and saw the Heisman trophies and met up with Adam and Jett before heading inside to find our seats. It was SO hot in the stadium. But we were lucky with our seats and by 30 minutes into the game, we were in the shade.

The game was intense and exciting the entire time. Nebraska scored then BYU scored. Then Nebraska again. Then BYU again. At half time we were up 24-14 and Memorial Stadium was almost silent while us BYU hopeful for a victory and feeling pretty confident. Then BYU didn’t do much in the 2nd half and Nebraska scored two touchdowns! The Huskers fans were going wild and the stadium was charged with so much energy it was unreal! In the final minutes of the game the score was 24 -28. Nebraska missed a field goal attempt and now it was our turn with 48 seconds to go. The clock kept ticking down and BYU converted two 3rd downs to get within 42 yards of the end zone.  We kept watching the clock tick down with each play until the final play. The clock had ONE SECOND left!! It was unbelievably intense. All of the fans of both teams were going wild with suspense and excitement and nerves. I don’t think a single fan was sitting. I was standing on the bench in front of us so I could see over the people in front of me. Jeff was doubtful. He was reprimanded! ;) We believed!! Tanner Mangum, the backup quarterback, rolled out and threw a hail-mary pass to Mitch Matthews and he catches it!!! Right in front of our eyes! Our seats were on the goal line on the 16th row and we seriously watched him catch that right in front of us with three red jerseys all over him. The crowd went WILD!!! We were jumping up and down, screaming and cheering. People were falling over and off the benches. It was sheer pandemonium in the small BYU section while the 88,000 Husker fans were stunned and silent. I nearly started to cry it was so exciting and intense. I was shaking with adrenaline! Our cheers were stunted for a moment while the ruling on the field was reviewed. Then when the confirmed it was a touchdown and the game was over it erupted all over again. The players and the fans sang the BYU fight song together and it echoed through that enormous stadium. We stayed in the stadium, soaking in the atmosphere of victory with all of the other BYU fans for almost an hour. We went down on the field and cheered for Tanner Mangum when he came back out to greet the fans. It was seriously the most amazing sporting event I have ever been to in my life!

As we were walking out of the stadium and down the streets of Lincoln, the fans gave us high fives and told us “good game!” There was the occasional angry fan cussing at us but that was definitely the exception rather than the rule. They were so gracious. I was very impressed. I definitely think BYU fans (and all fans) could learn a lesson from the Nebraska fans.

Aaron got a call from the pilot and we found out the FAA regulations dictated the pilot’s hours so since the game had gone longer than expected, there was no time to grab dinner and we had to be to the airport ASAP!! Amazingly an mini-van cab drove by the next minute. We hailed the cab, ran across traffic and piled into old van in seconds and were driving away. One of the guys had leaped the seat and climbed into the trunk. The rest of us crammed into the seats. I sat on Jeff’s lap and 10 large adults were packed into a 1990 Ford Windstar on our way to the airport. There was so much weight in the van that we kept bottoming out with every tiny bump in the road. I wasn’t sure we would make it. I was sure there were sparks flying behind us as the bumper was dragging on the street. I was laughing so hard I was crying. It was a little scary but fun.

We pulled up to the airport, jumped out and were in the air within 3 minutes. Then we all relived the game and talked business again on the way home. It was an amazing day!







































This is how we party Mormon style in 100 degrees at a football game. Free ice water at the bar.





From the Desert News online – September 5, 2015

From a Hail Mary to a 99-yard scoring drive in a 17-point quarter, Saturday's contest had plenty of memorable moments for BYU as the Cougars knocked off Nebraska 33-28 at Memorial Stadium.
Freshman quarterback Tanner Mangum finished off the rally for BYU, throwing to 6-foot-6 wide receiver Mitch Mathews at the front of the end zone as time expired. Mathews hauled in the pass and crossed the goal line, lifting the Cougars to the season-opening win.
Mangum entered the game replacing starter Taysom Hill, who left the contest twice and was lost for the season with a Lisfranc injury. The freshman threw for 111 yards, including a crucial 38-yard pass to Nick Kurtz on a fourth and 1 that set up a field goal, and the BYU offense rolled up 511 total yards in the win.

Comments

Popular Posts