Day 9: Hiking in Switzerland

This morning Jeff and I started with an early morning hike while the kids chilled at home. The hiking is just so beautiful that we are trying to get a few hikes in each day. Again, the views were amazing!

In the early afternoon, we took the tram in Wengen up to Mannlichen to start our 1.5 hour hike across to Kleine Scheidigg. We found a surprise playground at the top of the mountain with a huge wooden cow slide, mountaintop bowling, teetor-totter, slack-line, merry-go-round, etc! We played on the playground and picnicked at the top with our PBJ sandwiches and bread, cheese and salami (our new staple meal), and of course chocolate!

The hike was mostly just a walk but it was beautiful and the kids all had a great attitude (not at first, but eventually). We had fun hiking and talking and taking pictures. I love how much fun we are having just being together. Everyone is really getting along so well (for about 23 1/2 hours each day...there are always moments here and there). Jeff and I were talking and in some ways we feel like our family is at its best when we are traveling. Everyone looks out for each other, pitches in, reaches out and there are no distractions. It's surprising that we can be together 24/7 and get along better than we do at home when we are pulled in so many directions. I really feel like the kids genuinely like each other and they become each other's best friends. And Jeff and I are really LIKING being with our kids. Truly, they are such fun people to be with.

After reaching Kleine Scheidigg, we stopped for some food at a little restaurant. We decided to try Rosti and fondue again. The rosti was DELICIOUS! It's basically just buttery hashbrowns with bacon and eggs and spices, but it was so yummy. The fondue? Not so much. It still tasted like stinky socks mixed with B.O. We were bummed it was so sick but at least now we know we didn't screw it up the first time...it really is just gross.

The kids boarded the train with Kira (who is now legally an "adult") and headed back to Wengen. I misunderstood the Swiss Rail pass, thinking it included Kleine Scheidigg since it is only two stops above Wengen, but apparently you have to pay extra to get up that high and when they checked Kira's tickets, they made her pay an additional 18 CHF. It was a little stressful for her. The kids spent the rest of the day swimming at the Wengen pool and playing soccer while Jeff and I did a 3 hour hike to Grindelwald. It was a beautiful hike, mostly downhill but through beautiful fields and forests.











Riding on the balcony on the tram up to Mannlichen.


The view from the top - Wengen below.















Getting water from a mountain spring.




Mikey hiking up to the snow.













The Rosti was delicious!

Still bad. I think we've discovered that we don't like Swiss fondue.


Hiking to Grindelwald.




Pretty good day! ;)

Comments

Popular Posts