Adidas Cup 2015

Yet another soccer weekend. Yes, it’s that time of year. Time for endless soccer tournaments week after week. Long days at the soccer fields in the hot sun. And I’m just the spectator! But who am I kidding, I kinda like it. It’s fun watching the kids work hard and play. This week we had three kids in the Adidas Cup tournament in West Jordan. Fortunately their game times were somewhat close to each other but even with that, we were at the fields for 7 or 8 hours every day.

This was Isaac’s first tournament with his team. They barely lost their first game, got creamed in their second and won their third 5-1. Isaac got to play a lot and played really well. He is such an athletic kid, it’s fun to watch him. He was sad not to score any goals but he had 3 or 4 assists.

Kate’s team is coming along. I think she is really liking being on the “B” team and being a leader and one of the best ones on the team. Her coach has been really complimentary and keeps telling her that she’s “bloody brilliant!” (He’s British). Last year her team had a ton of subs, which means less playing time. This year, her team only has 1 or 2 subs so Kate gets to play the entire game! All that running means she’s in better shape and getting better at soccer. She really misses having her friend Sadie Santiago on her team but she’s still enjoying the team. Kate’s team lost all three games but they are getting better and Kate played pretty fantastic in all three games. I was really proud of how she just kept running and running even when I know she was so tired and so hot. It was 100 degrees or close during 2 of her games!

Calvin’s team really came together during this tournament. His coach gave everyone on the team pretty good playing time. I think Calvin’s tournament last weekend really boosted his confidence and he got to play more than half of each game. He scored a beautiful header off of a corner kick by his friend Ian during the second game. It cracks me up how he is always pushing up to try to score every chance he gets as a defender. As soon as there’s a free kick or a corner kick, he tells his other defenders to stay back and he runs up to get into the action.

His team made it to the semi-finals and played a tough team. The same team that in Park City two weeks ago, he didn’t get a single minute of playing time against. In this game, he got to play more than half of each half. The game was neck and neck the whole time. 1 – 1. Then 2-2. It was a battle for every ball. The other team has two boys that are HUGE. I’m talking like MAN-HUGE. They easily look 16 or older. They are refugees from Haiti so they don’t have birth certificates. Their adoptive parents  just had to guess what year they were born. I’m guessing they were a little off! ;) Anyway, the game is almost over, the score is still 2-2 with 3 minutes to go and everyone is gearing up for overtime and maybe even a PK shootout because the semi-final game has to end with a winner, you can’t have a tie. Calvin is playing the defensive-mid position and is pushing up a ton with the offense. He is about 25 yards out from the goal, right in the middle of the field when Ian passes him the ball. He takes a touch to the right to get some space, looks up and then just launches a shot off. It was a perfect shot! It sailed over everyone up into the top corner of the goal. The goalie jumps and barely gets a piece of it with his finger tips and the ball sails into the back of the net. The crowd goes wild! All of the parents are jumping and cheering! The boys are jumping and cheering and running towards Calvin. His smile is huge as he runs back to the center of the field doing this crazy “crane” celebration dance/run. He’s just being funny and he’s so happy. His teammates all run after him, so genuinely happy for him and for the fact that Calvin just scored the winning goal! I grabbed my camera and took a few pictures of him celebrating. Calvin did a fist-pump-toyota-style-jump-into-the-air-“YES!!!! I can’t believe I just scored the winning goal!” celebration as his team all piled on him slapping him on the back and hugging him. I even cried a little. It was a beautiful moment. One I’m sure he will never forget!


They went on to win the finals in OT with another boy, Mikey, who hasn’t gotten much playing time during these tournaments, scoring the winning goal. I felt like the boys really came together as a little band of brothers and I think realized that EVERY single team member contributes. It was a great tournament for their team and Brett (their coach) did a great job facilitating the wins and the idea that everyone on the team is valuable.








Croix (on Calvin's team) and one of the HUGE boys from the other team. I'm thinking they might have guessed wrong on that birth certificate! ;)





Comments

Popular Posts