Another Soccer Weekend
August 6-8, 2015
After some open, good, productive discussions with Calvin’s
coach last weekend, we decided to double roster Calvin on two teams. It’s a great
opportunity for Calvin to get more playing time, play with older boys (his
grade in school) and still get to be with his current team that he loves so
much. It will be a lot of soccer but it
will give Calvin an opportunity to build his confidence and get more touches on
the ball. He started practicing with them last Monday, just 2 days after the
Park City tournament. He told me afterwards, “Mom, it just took 5 minutes of
playing and my love of soccer was back!” I was so happy to hear that because I
know how much he genuinely loves the game. We have known the coach of this new
team since way back to the beginning of our Harvest Hills days and Calvin knows
a lot of the boys on this team too. He practiced with them Monday and Wednesday
and got to play in their tournament this weekend.
This time the tournament was in Orem, so it made travel a
little easier. Both Kate and Calvin played in the Utah Cup Showcase this
weekend. Kate’s team lost their first
two and tied their third game. They played great, however! I think Kate
probably had her best games ever! She was hustling and sprinting up and down
the field and getting a lot of touches on the ball. She is sometimes a little
timid and would rather someone else get the ball. This weekend, she was way
more aggressive and was winning the ball often. Her new team has only 13
players so she played almost every minute of every game. And she loves that!
She was totally exhausted after each game but I was so impressed with how hard
she worked the whole time!
Calvin’s team played 2 games Friday and 2 games Saturday and
ended up winning their age group! Calvin got to play at least 2/3 of every game
and even scored a goal in the semi-final game! He was sprinting up and down the
field, getting tons of action and loving every minute. When he was playing
defense, he kept pushing forward and trying to get into the offense. Every free
kick or corner kick, he was right there in the box trying to score and then
hustling back on defense if the ball went back on our side. It was really fun
to see him being so involved in the game and you could just see it on his face
that he was loving every minute! There was no stress. No pressure. No fear of
disappointing someone. Just pure fun! But he honestly played some of the best
soccer I’ve ever seen him play. Several of his teammates from his other team
were guest playing as well but they seemed to give him a fresh look and allow
him to play wherever and however he was. I really feel like this is going to be
a great experience for Calvin! Last weekend was a lot of heartache. This
weekend felt like a triumph for him!
These journal entries might come across like I’m a sort of
tiger-mom when it comes to sports. I’m really not. I do love sports and the
lessons they can teach young people, but most of all I want them to enjoy
playing and see how their hard work pays off. Sports is a very tangible,
physical object-lesson and that’s how I learn best so I kind of assume that’s how
my kids will learn best too. Maybe so. Maybe not. Either way, if you’re going
to spend so many hours a week participating on a sports team, it’s way more fun
when you get to play a lot in games!
My two little fans. I love how they support their siblings. Of course, the concession stand at the tournament is also motivating when you have a little wallet full of change.
Calvin and his friends doing the "Whip/NaeNae" dance after his goal. Not the Michael Jackson dance, which it almost looks like Calvin is doing. Yikes! Silly boys.



Comments
Post a Comment