Today I am 40
Day 9 – June 22, 2016
Wednesday
Today I turned 40 years old. I do feel older.
Not just today, but lately. More aches and pains. More straining to read the
fine print. More wrinkles and sags. But I couldn’t have imagined a better life
at 40. I have an amazing husband who loves me no matter what and thinks I can
do anything. I have 5 wonderful kids who have good, kind hearts and want to be
good people. I have the best friends a girl could ask for. Friends who cheer me
on in everything I do and are genuinely happy for my successes and
compassionate about my failures. I have a beautiful home filled with wonderful
memories. And I am traveling in Thailand! I feel so grateful for such a
wonderful life.
We spent the day zip-lining in the treetops near
our house outside of Chiang Mai at a place called “Flight of the Gibbon.” They
were careful and I definitely felt safe but they were a little chill with some
stuff. Like the kids hanging off the platforms to be funny, held only by their
harness and a carabineer. Or letting us do crazy take-offs and bouncing the
cable to swing us around. There were two times when I came very close to
hitting a tree. The first one was totally my fault and I think the cable was
too long for the guide to adjust me by pulling on the cable. The second one was
a much smaller tree (still probably would have broken something) but the guide
let me get pretty close. If I hadn’t pulled my legs in, it could have been a
bad deal.
During the zip-line, we spotted a family of
gibbons (ape family) and watched the four primates (not monkeys…they don’t have
a tail) swing through the trees and jump from tree to tree right in front of
us. It was seriously so cool!
After the zip line, we walked around a village
with an interpreter to see some handicrafts and different local customs. We
watched this cute little old lady weaving bamboo and we tried to weave a little
ourselves. It was tedious work! The interpreter showed us these little sticky
rice baskets that you see in restaurants and told us it took her an entire day
to make one basket. Then she told us she was selling them for 60 baht each.
That is about $2! An entire day’s worth of work for $2! I don’t even know how
she could survive. An average cheap
noodle bowl on the street is 30 baht! I asked Oppy about it later and she said
she probably lives with her extended family and eats mostly from her garden and
chickens. It is crazy to think about how much we take for granted in our lives.
The zip line included a lunch at the most
charming little mountain restaurant. The atmosphere was straight out of a movie
set. We ate in an open-air bamboo pavilion with hanging lanterns and pottery
dishes. The delicious food was served family style while a small group of musicians
played traditional music on a bamboo stage right in front of us. You could hear
the little mountain stream below. I loved every minute of it!
Later that night we had arranged to have dinner
at the house. Oppy and the staff let us help cook and gave us a cooking lesson
while we prepared the meal. We learned how to make Panang curry and cashew
chicken and rolled our own fresh rolls. It was so much fun! At dinner the kids
presented me with all of their special treasures they had bought for me at the
night market the night before. They were so excited to give them to me. I felt
so special and loved. Later Oppy and the ladies said they had a surprise and
asked us to come out to the garden where they had set up a beautiful little
garden table with lanterns on the ground and candles on the table. They brought
out a beautiful made-from-scratch mango cake covered with sliced fresh mango
and a candle while everyone sang “Happy Birthday” to me. I nearly cried it was
so sweet! Thai’s don’t usually celebrate birthdays with much and they do not do
cake and ice cream so it was such a special effort tor them to do this for me.
Every structure in Thailand has a Spirit House. This one up in the mountains by the zipline cable house was one of the coolest ones I saw.
Look closely and you can see the Gibbon family of 4.
The kids were a little crazy, hanging off the platforms from their harnesses.
Jeff always keeps me laughing.
Isaac aways the daredevil!
How romantic. ;)
Thai cooking class.
After each of the kids gave me their gifts, they gave me a huge hug.
My mango birthday cake.
My three shirtless boys out cold, all in the same twin bed. The little boys were scared, no doubt, and they begged their big brother, Calvin to sleep with them so they wouldn't be scared.
Our awesome lunch at the most charming little mountain restaurant.
Weaving bamboo.
Oppy and the ladies were so nice to get me a gift for my birthday.


























Comments
Post a Comment