We're Havin' Fish Tonight!
Friday, July 17, 2015
Decatur Island, Washington
This morning Jeff ran 7 miles. He is awesome. He just keeps running and running. I can't even try to keep up anymore. But I am really proud of him. He has been exercising consistently since January and has lost 25 pounds! I have been to, but I've only lost 10. Not nearly as impressive, but I still feel way better. Only 10 more to go! ;)
Just as Jeff was getting back
to the house, we were heading down to the dock on our bikes to check our crab
rings. We got skunked all morning (at
least with keepers). But the kids still had fun pulling the pots and finding baby
crabs on the beach. The kids watched a
movie at the house while Jeff and I ran up to Blakely Island to fuel up the
boat. It was a windy, rough ride and we were nervous to venture out again but
when my Dad came, he said the weather was great out in the strait. We
immediately loaded up fishing gear and all 8 of us headed out to the Salmon
Banks. The water was beautiful and calm. You don’t realize how important the
weather and good water is until you are out on the ocean every day. We fished
off Eagle Point on the West side of San Juan Island. There were pink salmon jumping everywhere. In about an hour
and a half, we had caught our limit (8). That meant everyone got to catch/reel
in a fish! It was so fun. I have caught thousands of fish in my lifetime while
working on our family’s commercial fishing boat, but I have caught very few
fish (like less than 5) on a pole. It was pretty exciting to feel that fish
fighting on the line and to reel it in!
It was a beautiful night. The wind was mostly cold but
occasionally you got a little warm island breeze coming off the island. It was
a long run home through the inside of Lopez Island and up and around the north
end of Lopez and into Decatur. The sunset was bright and beautiful We got into
our bay just at dark. Kira and Papa cleaned all 8 fish late into the night. We
didn’t get to bed until after midnight! Yikes! But we’re eatin’ fish tonight!
(Actually Sunday night). ;)
The house was stocked with little bottles of CocaCola for $2.50 each. Ouch! I told the kids they could have a soda if we caught a crab. They were pretty excited.
At the entrance to the little island golf course.
Fueling up at Blakely Island.
Heading out to the Salmon Banks.
Kate's fish. She was not really interested in holding it up herself. Or touching it at all.
A beautiful, calm day out on the banks.
Everyone got to take a turn driving the boat.
Like Father, like son. Look at the boys chewing on their tongue while they concentrate. All of the boys do it without even knowing it!
Now for the messy part...Kira helped Papa clean all 8 salmon!














Comments
Post a Comment