Merry Christmas 2013!

Today was the big day! I had a hard time sleeping last night. I always do. I'm always laying in bed making sure remembered everything. Then I'm waking up every few hours in anticipation. Partly because I'm excited and partly because I keep thinking I hear the kids creeping down the stairs and I don't want to miss it. This morning I was awake at 5:30am to go to the bathroom and then couldn't fall back asleep. I was just about dozing off when I hear a loud whisper from Kate: "Mom! Can you move the Santa?" (Our rule is the kids have to stay in the beach room (our bonus room upstairs) until we move this little resin Santa that stands guard at the entrance).

We had a great morning opening stockings and gifts. I love watching the kids exchange the gifts they got for each other. They are always so excited for their brother or sister to open it and then they always give each other a big hug. It's sweet.

The big moment came after the presents were unwrapped. It started with 5 envelopes on the tree each labeled with their name on it. They opened them oldest to youngest and this is what they found:

(Kira): Merry Christmas dear children, we love you a lot!
We hope you are grateful for all that you’ve got.

(Calvin): We’ve had lots of fun opening up stuff
And we hope that you know that stuff is just “fluff.”

(Kate): Stuff doesn’t make you happy or necessarily good,
But we love you so much, we probably gave you more than we should!

(Isaac): We have one more gift for the whole Davis crew
So it’s off on a scavenger hunt for a clue.

(Mikey): Start in the place where you can play house just for fun,
And look for a box that says “clue number one.”


CLUE #1 (Hidden in Main Street. Letter "A" and goggles)
You found clue #1 but no idea what it’s about.
Now use those brains to figure this out!
You’ll find clue #2 where Mom has loads of fun,
Washing and folding for everyone!

CLUE #2 (Hidden in the Laundry Room pull out hamper. Letter "A" and beach towels)
That was much too easy for clever kids like you.
You easily found clue number two.
For the next one you’ll have to search low and high,
To find #3, look for something that flies in the sky.

CLUE #3 (Hidden in Mike and Ike's room below the airplane picture. Letter "I" and a matchbox toy airplane)
You’ve solved a few riddles and gathered a few clues,
But you probably still have no idea what to do.
Keep on searching and soon it will be clear.
Head down to the arbor and “Just Dance” with cheer!

CLUE #4 (Hidden by the Wii in the basement. Letter "U" and a bottle of sand)
Wow! You’re getting so close, you’re almost there!
Just one more to go—just figure out where,
The last one is hidden with great thought and care,
Search every cupboard, even the ones that are bare.

CLUE #5 (Hidden in a random kitchen cupboard. Letter "K" and a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts)
So you’ve searched and you’ve found all the clues to be seen,
Now try to unscramble what all these clues mean.
They add up to something you’ve wanted to do.
We’ll see lots of sand and the sky will be blue.
You’ll each need your towel to dry off in the sun.
We’ll be snorkeling and surfing and have lots of fun!
Head to the kids’ study and we’ll look on the wall,
We’ll solve the big mystery once and for all!

CLUE #6 (After they figured it out and found it on the map they asked when we were going and we told them to find this clue hidden below the map).
You’ve figured it out! We can’t wait to go!
You’re bags are all packed—we leave TOMORROW!!!

(They were screaming and jumping up and down and running around shocked and so surprised. It was awesome. When they calmed down a tiny bit we told them to look for one last clue. They found a bag with a hammer and a coconut in it and a clue that read):
Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better,
There’s one more surprise to find out together.
Crack open this coconut and see who will be,
Sharing our adventure in sunny Hawaii!

They were SOOOOO excited! They were screaming and jumping around and yelling things like "No way!" "I can't believe we're going to Hawaii!!" and "Thank you so much Mom and Dad!" Kate even started crying she was so excited. Jeff even teared up when he saw the genuine excitement and gratitude. It was a really awesome moment. I got it on video but didn't take any pictures until after. I am so grateful and excited that we get to go on this trip. And especially that we get to go with the Tillmans. It will be unforgettable!





Kira made some awesome homemade Christmas presents this year. She made a chess set for Isaac out of fasteners. This is the King and Queen. It turned out awesome! This boy loves chess!


Calvin sporting his new Real Salt Lake scarf.

Kira made me this adorable chalkboard to put on the kitchen counter and the kids can write on it for me. She is so thoughtful and clever!

Kira made Mikey this cute little bag of "story rocks" for Mikey.




Isaac's favorite Christmas present: his Ronaldo jersey.

 Calvin cracking open the coconut for the final surprise!




So excited to go with the Tillmans!

I can't believe we're leaving tomorrow! 

Calvin's "Hobbit" house.

Comments

  1. The Tillman's were pretty stoked too! I'm so excited for y'all to get to share this adventure together. Thanks for giving them such an awesome gift! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts